Thursday, February 02, 2012

Patricia Isasa in Victim's Protection Program, Struggle Continues!


Yesterday morning, when I was about to start the Asian regional meeting on disappearances, I was shock receiving a message:

"My dear...I´m can´t connect because I´m under protection program...The perpetrator have the benefice to GO OUT every 15 days!!!!Is so dangerous for me!!!! Plese stay in touch and I will go to Timor, and Indonesia next August 2012. Please tell everybody these news...Bought of them... (charly; Titi; and evry friends...) MUGY!!!."

It was a message from Patricia Isasa, or Pato as I call her. A good friend, an Argentinian, a survivor of illegal detention, torture, rape in 1976-1978 during the Military Junta. After a three decade long struggle, she was finally able to bring the perpetrators to trial and then jailed for more than 20 years in high security prison.

Pato is now in danger because Victor Brusa, Eduardo Ramos and Maria Eva Aebi, the convicted perpetrators for crimes against humanity during the dictatorship, was given permission to get out of the prison.

There is never an easy path to justice, and even when the perpetrators are already in jail, the struggle does not yet finish.

No comments: